cc nameserver records in .com zone

Matthew SAMS maclean at cs.mcgill.ca
Fri Jan 25 21:33:40 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Barry Margolin wrote:

> Fred Viles <fv+abuse at nospam.epitools.com> wrote:
> >I've been curious about why the gTLD registrars require host records
> >for all delegated servers rather than only the ones where glue is

> I think it's for administrative consistency.  If the registration form has
> to explain when an IP is required and when it isn't, many registrants will
> screw up.  It's easier to just ask for it every time, and ignore it when
> it's not needed for glue records.

Which is why I was asking. We have a number of domains in
.com that have authoritative servers in .ca. Suddenly one of
the records in ?.root-servers.net has disappeared. It has
caused some concern but I didn't think it really mattered
since the a records are found outside of the .com domain

I've spoken with a person at network solutions who said I
don't need to worry. I've spoken with other registrars who
give the standard answer where we do require the a records.
Trying to find a reliable source has been interesting.

The stated answers agree with my own conclusions. The host
records requirement is an administrative nicety while dns
actually doesn't need the host records as long as the
nameservers are outside of the .com domain.

Thanks,
-Matthew