Slave Server Slow in updating

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Sat Jan 26 10:16:51 UTC 2002

Sam Pointer <sam.pointer at hpdsoftware.com> wrote:

> I am running BIND 9.1.3 on Redhat 2.4.7-10 and have a master with a single
> slave. There are no firewall complications. My slave server has the
> following SOA record:

> $TTL 0
> mydomain.com.	IN	SOA	ns1.mydomain.com. root.mydomain.com. (
> 2002012302 3m 3m 1w 0 )

> which I know are agressive values, but I'm testing and want my changes to
> propigate fast.

These values are downright wrong. zero ttl don't work at a number of
places.

> In my named.conf of my slave server I have the entry:

> zone "mydomain.com" in {
> 	type slave;
> 	masters { xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; };  <- address of ns1.mydomain.com.

> I would suspect then that if I update the serial number on the master then
> the changes would take 3mins to move to the slave. Instead they seem to much
> much longer. Am I missing something fundemental?

you are missing notify. So instead of guessing what you think is good,
have a look at the handbook ( which by the way is supplied with bind-9)

We _could_ lead you "by the nose" and make this work, but you would
be better off learning how it is supposed to work.

peter h

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)