BIND MESSAGES

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed Jan 30 15:53:21 UTC 2002

In article <a391lj$24o at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Joaquin J. Domens <jdomens at corp.terra.es> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I`m running two machines as dns caches /or forwarders with BIND 8.2.3,
>            options {
>                directory "/var/named";
>                files 2048;
>                forward only;
>                forwarders { XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX; };
>
>and I´m getting this messages in both machines
>
>Jan 27 19:17:23 tdns2 named[26301]: check_root: 1 root servers after
>query to root server < min
>Jan 27 20:41:08 tdns2 named[26301]: check_root: 1 root servers after
>query to root server < min

When named starts up, it performs a query for the root nameservers, to
update the list it got from the hints file.  When tdns2 asked its
forwarders for the list of root servers, it returned just one nameserver.
Since there are normally about a dozen, it warns that the list of root
servers seems wrong.

Although tdns2 doesn't ever query the root servers itself, it expects
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX to do so when necessary.  If XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX has an
incorrect root server list, it won't be able to look up external names.  If
you're isolated from the Internet and using a private root then this isn't
a problem, so you can ignore the warning.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA