Question about Window 2000 and Unix DNS

Smith, Randy (DISOC) rsmith at dsdc.dla.mil
Wed Jan 30 18:31:21 UTC 2002

We are a third tier level domain

				XX.ZZ.COM
	We are authorative for our domain.
	We are using Windows 2000 Dynamic DNS
	We are using Windows 2000 DHCP with Dynamic Updates
	We want to be "delegated" to because the second tier DNS does not
permit DDNS updates
	We are migrating to AD integrated DNS within a month

Our problems:

	The Second level DNS is UNIX based
	Second level does not permit DDNS updates
	Second level DNS is not going to Windows 2000 DNS
	Second level DNS does not know about Windows 2000 DNS "Burst mode"

Our goals.

	Third tier DNS will be "hidden"
	Multiple subnets within third level DNS
	Be "Delegated" by second level DNS
	We currently use Windows 2000 Dynamic DNS, how does second tier take
advantage
	DHCP dynamically updates DNS on our network, how does second level
handle it?
	We will go to AD integrated zones and force replications on updates.
	All Domain controllers within the AD 2000 Domain be masters using AD
Integrated Zones
	Our second teir does not understand Windows 2000 DNS/DDNS/DHCP and
wants to continue
	using UNIX.

Any help would be useful.

Thanks