localhost in a domain zone

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Jan 30 23:19:38 UTC 2002

> Joseph S D Yao wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 12:07:12PM -0500, Sergey Nikolaev wrote:
> > > Is there any sense in having the A record for localhost.mydomain.com poin
> ting to
> > > 127.0.0.1 in the mydomain.com zone?
> >
> > Yes, this is standard.  And a lot of things work better.
>
> That's not up to your usual standard of rigor, Joe.
>
> I vote for eliminating extraneous junk. If something *depends* on localhost.d
> om.ain
> being defined, it's broken and should be fixed.
>

> - Kevin

	Personally I find that it is a good optimization to have
	"localhost.mydomain.com".   That way I don't have to
	traverse the search list, try looking up "localhost." then
	if that is not found looking in /etc/hosts.

	It all depends apon what you are trying to minimise.  Zone size
	or resolution time?

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org