Question about Window 2000 and Unix DNS

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Thu Jan 31 17:04:20 UTC 2002

"Smith, Randy (DISOC)" <rsmith at dsdc.dla.mil> wrote:

>We are a third tier level domain
>
>				XX.ZZ.COM
>	We are authorative for our domain.
>	We are using Windows 2000 Dynamic DNS
>	We are using Windows 2000 DHCP with Dynamic Updates
>	We want to be "delegated" to because the second tier DNS does not
>permit DDNS updates
>	We are migrating to AD integrated DNS within a month
>
>Our problems:
>
>	The Second level DNS is UNIX based
>	Second level does not permit DDNS updates
>	Second level DNS is not going to Windows 2000 DNS
>	Second level DNS does not know about Windows 2000 DNS "Burst mode"
>
>Our goals.
>
>	Third tier DNS will be "hidden"
>	Multiple subnets within third level DNS
>	Be "Delegated" by second level DNS
>	We currently use Windows 2000 Dynamic DNS, how does second tier take
>advantage
>	DHCP dynamically updates DNS on our network, how does second level
>handle it?
>	We will go to AD integrated zones and force replications on updates.
>	All Domain controllers within the AD 2000 Domain be masters using AD
>Integrated Zones
>	Our second teir does not understand Windows 2000 DNS/DDNS/DHCP and
>wants to continue
>	using UNIX.
>

>Any help would be useful.

If I understand you correctly, you want

     XX.ZZ.COM

to be on a W2k DNS box, while

     ZZ.COM

remains on a Unix BIND box.  If this is the case then do as we have:

1) Delegate the XX subdomain to your W2k server by placing in the XX
   zone:

        XX  IN  NS  W2kdns.ZZ.COM.

2) You can still have the ZZ.COM nameservers be slave servers to your
   XX subdomain; just place NS records in the XX zone on the W2k box
   that point to the ZZ nameservers.

3) The W2kdns box can NOT be a "hidden master".  MS has no concept
   of a hidden master.  If you go to the XX zone and delete the NS
   record that points to the W2kdns box (and it can be done), the MS
   DNS code will quickly realize that is is missing and re-insert it.

4) If the XX zone SOA is configured correctly with w2kdns.ZZ.COM
   as the name of the master, then all DDNS updates should be sent to
   the W2kdns box.

5) Check with MS to insure that you have the latest dns.exe code.
   There is at least one hotfix post-SP2, and another one in the works
   (we were supposed to get it in early January, but MS is doing more
   testing).  And I currently have three open trouble tickets with MS
   concerning the W2k DNS code; some or all of these may end up as
   hotfixes.

6) I would not recommend MS's multi-master setup, as there are
   documented serial number problems (Q282826).

7) You might have problems with denied zone transfers, as we have.
   You might have problems with NOTIFY, as we have.

 >       Second level DNS does not know about Windows 2000 DNS "Burst mode"

What is "Burst mode"?  I see references to WNT Server 4.0 WINS
"burst mode", but I have not seen the term used with DNS.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov