BIND - sorting of reverse domain.

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Jul 2 22:19:12 UTC 2002

    D> It appears that BIND (I have version 9.2.1) sorts all its
    D> domain entries in the files it stores alphabetically ("machine
    D> sort order").  That's fine for the forward domain file where
    D> domain/hostnames are usually alphabetic.  However, for the
    D> reverse domain file, it makes more sense to sort it in
    D> NUMERICAL value order, thus keeping adjacent IP addresses
    D> nearer to each other.  (Of course, I don't care what named does
    D> internally with the zone as a memory image ....)

BIND does not care about the order of entries in a zone file. You are
mistaken. If your forward and reverse files are sorted alphabetically
(or numerically or whatever) it's because something local is doing
that. The most likely suspects will be the tools that are used locally
to manage those files. So if you have a gripe about how your zone
files are organised, take it up with whoever or whatever organised
them that way.