DNS Transfer

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 7 12:07:20 UTC 2002

Steve wrote:

> another one of these newbie posts coming....

> Jul 12 14:40:08 system named-xfer[18512]: [10.20.30.2] not authoritative for
> zone1.domain.com, SOA query got rcode 0, aa 0, ancount 1, aucount 0

The master is not setting the authoritative bit, this is usually
because of errors in the zone file.

Read the log file on the master for when named starts, or try
using named-checkzone if this is BIND 9 to identify what is
wrong with the zone file.

You can check with a "dig @10.20.30.2 zone1.domain.com soa"
query, and look for "AA" in the flags section.

> I have tried to look at various things but can't see why they donot
> replicate or why these errors are appearing.

As a newbie please note we don't obscure domain names here as so
much depends on getting names and numbers just right in DNS.

When we talk generic issues through we tend to use "example.com"
which is reserved for the purpose. The real owner of domain.com
will probably appreciates this more than most, as he tends to
get picked on a lot.