CNAME vs. A record

Will Yardley &- at no.spam.veggiechinese.net
Mon Jul 8 10:18:11 UTC 2002

In article <ag8ogu$31om$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, Tyler Durden wrote:
> Quick question:  I just submitted some dns changes to my ISP similar to the
> following:
>
> host          IN A    1.2.3.4
>
> www        IN CNAME    host
> ftp            IN CNAME    host
>
> My ISP said that the recommended way to do this is with A records, as
> follows:
>
> host        IN A     1.2.3.4
> www      IN A     1.2.3.4
> ftp          IN A     1.2.3.4
>
> Any insights?

it's generally a matter of personal preference, unless any of the
records in question are being used as the target of an NS or MX record.

using CNAMEs can simplify things a bit if you know how to use them
properly, and if you maintain your zone files by hand.  of course if you
use automated tools to setup DNS records, most likely it doesn't matter.

personally, i suggest avoiding CNAMEs until you understand the problems
they can cause if used improperly... in most situations, other types of
records can be used.  i usually setup my zones as in the second example
above.

> Could this be to facilitate reverse lookups?

i don't really understand what you mean here, but nope.

> Any downside to using all A records?

nope.

--
No copies, please.
To reply privately, simply reply; don't remove anything.