message invalid RR type 'NS' in additional section after upgrade

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Jul 8 11:58:52 UTC 2002

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 10:55:45AM +0200, David JULIEN equipe MINDS/SSIM wrote:
> I would like to know if multiple cnames is still implemented (and
> accepted) in bind 8.3.3.

It depends on what you mean by "multiple CNAMEs".

If you are doing this, it's perfectly legal:

; perfectly legal
www		IN  CNAME	venus
web		IN  CNAME	venus
dnsmaitre	IN  CNAME	venus

The other way around, however, has never been legal, but started being
enforced in 8.2.something:

; wrong!
mien		IN  CNAME	venus
mien		IN  CNAME	mars
mien		IN  CNAME	jupiter

> Il have just upgraded from bind 8.2.3 for security reasons, and I have
> this message permanently in my logs
>
> invalid RR type 'NS' in additional section
>
> I have multiple cnames set. Could this probleme come from that ?

I can't imagine so.  Your server is reporting what ANOTHER name server
is sending to it.

--
Joe Yao				jsdy at center.osis.gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support					EMT-B