BIND9 + AD in Enterprise Environment

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Mon Jul 8 15:52:44 UTC 2002

jay.millar at stjohn.org wrote (in part):

>1. Are there any major glitches, gotchas, or other nastiness
>associated with attempting to use BIND 9 as a DNS server to support
>Microsoft Active Directory?
>
>2. Is there anyone else out there currently using BIND9 to support
>Active Directory for DNS in a large enterprise environment (on the
>order of thousands of users)?  If so, can anyone relate information
>and experiences regarding your implementation?  (any comments on this,
>however brief, would be greatly appreciated!)

All you have to do is delegate the four "_" zones to a MS W2k box.
But also have those zones slaved on your BIND servers.  I have 12
sets of "_" zones on my W2k DNS box.  Almost all of my other zones are
on BIND Servers.

For more details check the list archives, where there have been many
W2k-related postings in the past few years.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov