web server and mail server on different machines

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 8 23:55:50 UTC 2002

nospam-dvd at ldschat.com wrote:

> ..
>         I have my web server and mail server on two different machines.  This
> is just the way I need it.
>         The following is what I currently have (pretend that 1.1.1.1 is my
> web server and 2.2.2.2 is my mail server).
> --------------------------------------
> @       IN      A       1.1.1.1 ; Host IP
> @       IN      MX      10      mail.domain.com ; Mail server
>
> mail    IN      A       2.2.2.2
> --------------------------------------
>         Well, I have everything working perfectly except I would like to be
> able to use domain.com as my pop3 server instead of mail.domain.com .
> I have tried the following line:
> @       IN      MX      10      2.2.2.2 ; Mail server
> I thought this might do it because I was specifying for domain.com
> (the @ symbol) as an mx record should point to the ip address, I have
> learned is not the way to do this.

MX records point to names, not IP addresses. This is non-negotiable.

Note also that POP3 clients don't care about MX records. Only SMTP clients do.
Your MX record(s) determine where your mail gets *sent* by other mail servers on
the Internet. Where it gets sent may or may not be the same place as where you
access it via POP3.