BIND - sorting of reverse domain.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jul 9 00:56:56 UTC 2002

> Since LMR (or RML) create non-optimal outputs but do create HUMAN READABLE
> outputs, there must be some reason why this was desired and why it was
> acceptable to have the performance penalty (of rebalancing).  My original
> question addressed this:  As long as we're striving to make it human readable
> ,
> why aren't we taking the next logical step in making these reverse zones even
> more readable (by the data rearrangement suggested in the original query)?

	Because it would require performing a additional sort for
	something that is not crucial to the operation of the
	nameserver.  Sorting the SOA and NS records to the front
	is crucial either, but the cost is minimal.  Nameservers
	are there to serve data.  Not to make master files look
	pretty.  Converting from internal to text format is expensive
	enough without wasting resourses re-sorting the zone.

	On top of that writes happen much more frequently than
	reads, especially on slaves.  A slave may load the zone
	once a year but write it several thousand times.  The
	same is true for the masters of dynamic zones.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org