Fail Over name serving using BIND

Adam J Morand aj at cantest.net
Tue Jul 9 02:25:48 UTC 2002

Hello,

I have a few silly questions that I have been unable to find authoritative
answers on.

1) How exactly are the ROOT servers deciding which NS to give to the client,
I have heard 3 different things, and can not find anything on ICANN,
Internic, RFC 1035, or the email archives of these ISC lists that spell this
ROOT server behavior.
    In,
        NS    ns1.foo.com
        NS    ns2.foo.com
        NS    ns3.foo.com
    a) does the ROOT server poll all 3 and give the fastest response to the
client's query?
    b) does the ROOT server poll them in line order handing the first
response to the client's query?
    c) does the ROOT server "cycle" through the entries using them all
equally?

2) In BIND, is there a way to assign a weight (like the MX weight) to each
NS entry, so that one will be used before the others, unless it is
unreachable, then the ROOT server pulls the next lowest weight?

any information, hints, links, or constructive profanity would be greatly
appreciated,

Thank you,

aj