DNS Management Software

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 9 08:35:31 UTC 2002

Anthony Warren wrote:

> The trouble I am having is finding a product that supports "views" that were
> introduced on Bind 9.
>
> Does anyone know of any good software out there?

I don't think I've seen any products that support views. Most
were based on BIND 8 and work with 9 through the standard zone
file syntax.

The natural way to write a DNS management system with BIND 9 is
to use dynamic updates, which forces data through BIND 9's own
checking procedures, minimised reloads, minimises assumptions
about the server implementation (should work with other DDNS
programs), and presents an easy "secure update". Adding zones is
the fly in the ointment, but I believe that is being addresses.

Views are a minority interest, and I still have some issues with
their implementation. Views are confusing, and almost everything
you can do with views you can do without views.

Why are you using views?

Most people who are using views even vaguely sensibly are doing
it so they can do funky include type operations and thus only
maintain one copy of certain bits of data which DNS management
systems could (and do) implement without views anyway.

I guess my biggest concern is that people using views naively to
implement split DNS tends to result in them putting the data
they are trying to keep protected on more exposed servers.