Help with setup of type forward zone...

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 9 10:51:33 UTC 2002

Alex Paransky wrote:

> If I now do dig @ns5.ceiva.com (which is the INTERNET VISIBLE box with
> the forward entry) I get the proper lookup:

Actually the lookup you get here is wrong, the server sets the
authority bit incorrectly. This is because it is BIND 8.2.4 and
not properly behaved like ns6 which is running BIND 9.

Right answer for the wrong reason. Or two wrongs making a right,
depending how you look at it ;)

> All I really want to do, is to have control over my DNS without having
> to bother the administrators with any changes that I might want to do.
>  Could someone help with this problem.

Get him to make both servers ns5 and ns6  slaves for the
myprofiles.com domain, and thus pulling copies from your server
using AXFR or IXFR.

You'll want to sort out sensible values for the SOA records
refresh, retry, MINTTL, and perhaps insert a $TTL directive....