BIND - sorting of reverse domain.

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jul 9 23:53:20 UTC 2002

> My follow-up question, once I overcame their falsehoods, then was:  Why was i
> chosen to save the file in machine order when that requires a tree-rebalance
> performance penalty when reading it back in (upon restart)?  If it is saved i
> this other tree traversal order, the rebalance penalty is completely avoided
> (as
> long as the zone file hadn't been tampered with in the meantime).  I still aw
> ait
> an answer to that one.

	To do things like generate the NXT records for a zone it
	is necessary to walk the database in DNSSEC order.  It is
	not necessary to walk the database in other orders so no
	provision has been made to walk the database in other orders.

	When speeding up loading becomes a high enough priority for
	it to be fixed we will most probably look at a compiled
	database.  That way we can mmap/read it in one operation.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org