GTLD Stats

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Wed Jul 10 01:45:59 UTC 2002

This is a Web server question, not a DNS question.  Count the accesses
in the Web server log files. The GTLD only provides information about the
Nameservers for a domain, not the A record for the Web server. Even
then it will only hand it out the first time a nameserver asks. After that
the nameserver has it in cache for at least a while (depending on TTL)
and each nameserver will use that for responding to requests for the A
record of the nameserver. So even if they GTLD servers were to bother
to keep logs, the numbers would be wildly inaccurate. Ditto for the
authorative nameservers. If you didn't keep Web server logs, now's the
time to start keeping them.

Danny