BIND 8.2.3 problem with reverse zone

maurywind at interfree.it maurywind at interfree.it
Wed Jul 3 07:22:16 UTC 2002

Hi All,
[Sorry for my english, it's very bad !!]

I'm a administrator for lan-company, now i administer our DNS service, but i unknow very well BIND, i attend to receive a book "DNS and BIND 4th" (O'reilly editor).
We have a primary name server and others two slave name Servers with BIND 8.2.3. The first is SUNsolaris 8, others are RedHat 7.2 In addition we have 20 server W2k-server whit DNS(NS slave) and DHCP server !! All service work fine except update the reverse db !! I know that target of Internet-DNS is to convert a hostname in  ip-address (only), but here, for some applications, is necessary to have the reverse resolution : ip-address in hostname. The big problem is that:
Into reverse db, BIND only add a new RR's, when lease expires not delete the old RR's

when the DHCP-servers assign the same address to a new host, this RRs is added to old reverse record instead to delete old record before to add new record !! In effect, if i watch a ip (exemple: 192.168.1.100) into db.192.168.0.0.rev i see:

$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
100     900  IN   PTR  hosname1. domain.com    (FQDN)
        900  IN   PTR  hosname2. domain.com    (FQDN)
        900  IN   PTR  hosname3. domain.com    (FQDN)
101     ......

.... As you know, the third RRs hostname3.domain.com is the current lease !!.

1) Why hostname1 and hostname2 are not deleted by DHCP-server?
2) !! It's normally ??
3) It is a Microsft problem ??
4) We must change some parameters or properties in W2K servers ??
5) Have you some best solutions ??

Note that into DHCP-Server properties (DNS-task) i've activated the: "Discard forward (name-to-address) lookups when lease expires" and "Automatically update DHCP client information in DNS" and "Always update DNS"

 Many thanks for your help !

Salve, il messaggio che hai ricevuto
è stato inviato per mezzo del sistema
di web mail interfree. Se anche tu vuoi