client 1.2.3.4#56789: update 'sampledomain.com/IN' denied

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jul 2 01:50:06 UTC 2002

> I was using BIND 9.1.0 until recently, now I am using BIND 9.2.1.
> The upgrade implies that the log file is filling up with the message
>
> client 1.2.3.4#56789: update 'sampledomain.com/IN' denied
>
> for various domains (we are an ISP managing about 250 domains).
> I have seen on this list that one solution to this problem is to fix the
> client (normally Win2k).
> In our case the problem cannot be solved that way (too many clients).

	You might actually get some kudos with your clients if you
	inform them that their machines are mis-configured.  Also
	it is easy enough to automate the reporting.  Just make
	sure there are clear instructions on how to fix the problem.

	Changing the SOA MNAME field just makes debugging harder, people
	can't see which nameserver is the master and which are the slaves.
	It also results in NOTIFY messages being sent to the master server.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org