[how-to] DNS in a dynamic IP environment?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 11 01:08:20 UTC 2002

Rick Barter wrote:

> My ISP will not give me a static IP address for my UNIX box at home.
> Therefore, I am having trouble getting someone to host my domain for
> me.
>
> How would name resolution be achieved in a dynamic IP environment?

Poorly? :-)

The problem with a "roving master" is: how do the slaves reliably find
it so that they can perform zone transfers? Even if BIND had the ability
to automatically determine the masters for a zone based on delegation
records (which it doesn't), that wouldn't help you, because your master
must necessarily be "hidden" and therefore wouldn't be included in the
delegation records.

You'll have to bite the bullet and pay for someone else to host your
domain, or find a free service. I understand that many of them have
easy-to-use web interfaces for maintaining zone data. Some of them might
even support crypto-authenticated Dynamic Update, upon which you could
put whatever interface you wanted...