DDNS and "response to SOA query was unsuccessful"

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 11 21:55:38 UTC 2002

Graeme Rich wrote:

> When I try to do a DDNS update with nsupdate to my zone I get is an
> error message "response to SOA query was unsuccessful" on the console
> and nothing is showing up in my named_update.log file and there is no
> .jnl file being written.
>
> Anyone very see this before or have any ideas on whats happening?

Not seen it before, but... In order to decide where to send a
DDNS update you have to query the zone SOA to read the MNAME
field (primary DNS server).

So try "dig problemdomain SOA" at the command promt before
running the update command and see what happens. You can also
override the server that updates are sent to, I haven't checked
if this stoped the SOA record being queried but it gives another
approach to try if your totally stuck.

Could be a domain typo, but I use TSIG, and get TSIG errors if I
do something like that wrong.