DNS Resolution Issues

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Jul 12 15:43:59 UTC 2002

Timothy W. Foreman <timf at nikita.anansi-web.com> wrote:

> We are running Solaris 8 BIND 9.2.1 name servers that are authoritative for
> our ibsys.com domain.

> Many of our users on the internet are having trouble resolving names on these
> servers.

> The primary problem appears to be with the record for images.ibsys.com. (Yes,
> I know it's a chained CNAME. I can't do anything about that.)

> We are at the point where my boss want's to downgrade the servers to v8.x
> (thus losing the Views feature that we went to 9.x for.)

> I need some help with this.

1/ Server dns3.ibsys.com (66.187.192.1) does not answer TCP queries.
  Possibly a faulty fw rule.

2/ your default TTL ( 600s ) is _way_ to low. This destroys caching
out there. In addition you have a larger value ( 3600) on negative TTL

3/ your nameservers seems to be very close topologically. This will
make them all unavilable whenever i glitch occurs.

4/ images.ibsys.com. shows up as :
;; ANSWER SECTION:
images.ibsys.com.       10M IN CNAME    www.ibsys.com.edgesuite.net.
www.ibsys.com.edgesuite.net.  6H IN CNAME  a1844.g.akamai.net.
a1844.g.akamai.net.     20S IN A        193.45.14.134
a1844.g.akamai.net.     20S IN A        193.45.14.136

And yes, even shorter TTL on akamai's 'A' records. Might work
on a LAN but i would say it could create problems on Internet.

5/
 edgesuite.net. is served by akamai, and have 7 out of 12 NS
refusing to answer TCP queries. This might vause problems.

--
Peter Håkanson