relax 'ignoring out-of-zone data' checks?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 20:42:30 UTC 2002

Ian Marsh wrote:

> *.              MX      6 mailrelay.hants.gov.uk.
> *.com.          MX      6 mailrelay.hants.gov.uk.
> *.uk.           MX      7 mailrelay.hants.gov.uk.
> *.gov.uk.       MX      7 mailrelay.hants.gov.uk.
> etc...
>
>   This has gotten around the problem and has worked find for a number of
> years. Now, however, we want to upgrade the DNS server to the latest
> release of Bind and it is ever so kindly rejecting those wildcards!

These are only "out of zone" if your server doesn't declare
itself a root nameserver.

When you say "internal" I assume this means it can't resolve say
www.microsoft.com as it is firewalled away? You just want to
send mail for Microsoft to the mail relays who have a proper
DNS?

If so in named.conf...

zone "." {
 type master;
 file "myroot.db";
..... stuff needed...
 }

and create a zone file myroot.db for "." and put these records
in it. Cricket covers this in the O'Reilly DNS and BIND, just
your predecessor took a messy shortcut I suspect.

I don't think BIND 9 can relax it's out of zone checks as such,
they have programmed hard to stop that very kind of thing
happening ;)