Problems with 'ndc restart' on BIND 8.3.3

Ian Bedson ianb at tropicalstorm.com
Mon Jul 15 09:26:04 UTC 2002

Hi Doug, et.al.

Actually I never start named explicitly, even the server start up script for
named that I use has a call to 'ndc start' in it. I have always done this
mainly for consistency, and anyway I have never had any problems doing it
this way.

The reason that I posted my message was because all of the BIND releases
that contained the ndc utility up until now have always worked for me
without any problems. It has only been since I upgraded to 8.3.3 that my
scripts have broken.

Anyway, I have just verified the problem that you are describing. I get a
similar behaviour on my test server. If I start named with a fully qualified
path, ndc restart works albeit with the exit code 1 that I am asking about.

However, if I start named without fully qualifying the path, when I executed
ndc restart I got the message:

can't open '@'
ndc: error: could not start new name server (/usr/sbin/named @)

Regards,