SRV and CNAMES

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Jul 15 16:24:20 UTC 2002

Brian Noecker <bnoecker at jabber.com> wrote:

> Is it legal to have a SRV referencing a CNAME'd entry:

> test				IN	CNAME
> mickey.jabber.com.
> _www._tcp.test.jabber.com	IN	SRV	10 0 80
> test.jabber.com.

Quoting RFC2782 :

   Target
        The domain name of the target host.  There MUST be one or more
        address records for this name, the name MUST NOT be an alias (in
        the sense of RFC 1034 or RFC 2181).  Implementors are urged, but
        not required, to return the address record(s) in the Additional
        Data section.  Unless and until permitted by future standards
        action, name compression is not to be used for this field.

--
Peter Håkanson