dig +trace problems

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 15 20:46:14 UTC 2002

Will Yardley wrote:

> Why does dig +trace fail on this:
> jazz% dig +trace ilove.lancaster.pa.us.

> dig: couldn't get address for 'B.GTLD.BIZ': not found
>
> I can still get a response from C.GTLD.BIZ. - why does it fail on not
> being able to find the address for b.gtld.biz? shouldn't it ask
> c.gtld.biz and continue?

The main problem appears to stem from b.gtld.biz not existing
any more, but named will answer with glue data from "." some
times.

I can get BIND 9.2.1 to answer for b.gtld.biz from glue, and
then if I query "dig gtld.biz ns" it caches the non-existence of
"b". Your problem dig query still works with dig from 9.2.1,
whichever way I do it.

Do you do any other queries to set up the cache in a funny way?

Perhaps you should downgrade ;)
Or else Mark will appear and drag you kicking and screaming to
BIND workers...

So is the whole us domain really on just two machines, or is
there some magic going on underneath? I noticed the gtld.biz and
neulevel domain delegations also appear to gain, lose and rename
servers with rather more abandon then I'd expect for such key
zones.

Does anyone from neulevel read here?

$ dig @ns1.neulevel.biz version.bind chaos txt +short
"What do you care?"

Probably BIND 9.2something at a guess.....