IXFR generates error logs even though it seems to work

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Jul 15 22:54:18 UTC 2002

> I'm running Bind 9.2.1 on two machines with one set up as a slave to the
> other. Zone transfers from the master are working in that changes to
> zone files on the master show up on the slave. It even appears that
> automatic notification is working because the transfer occurs
> immediately after changes to the zone files.
>
> So what's the problem you may ask. Well, I get the following errors on
> the slave name server whenever a transfer takes place.
>
> Jul 13 12:29:05 lorien named[10894]: transfer of 'arda.homeunix.net/IN'
> from 192.168.100.4#53: failed while receiving responses: not exact
> Jul 13 12:29:05 lorien named[10894]: transfer of
> '100.168.192.in-addr.arpa/IN' from 192.168.100.4#53: failed while
> receiving responses: not exact
>
> 192.168.100.4 is the IP of my master name server. Lorien is the slave
> name server. I have secured zone transfers using TSIG keys. Also, I get
> log messages on the master name server that an IXFR has begun but no
> logs telling me that it has finished. These messages look like this.
>
> Jul 14 04:07:45 imladris named[16265]: client 192.168.100.3#1489:
> transfer of 'arda.homeunix.net/IN': IXFR started
>
> I don't know if this has anything to do with what I'm seeing but I'm
> also doing dynamic updates of my zone files from ISC's dhcpd 3.0
> pointing at my master name server. In fact, it is dynamic updates that
> are triggering zone transfers to my slave name server.
>
> Any ideas as to why these error messages are showing up?
>
> Andrew

	You are not performing manual updates as well on the zone?

	The errors indicate that the master generated a delta in which
	every change could be applied.  Early BIND 9's had bugs which
	could do this.  Named recovers from this by requesting a AXFR.
	If a zone hasn't had a AXFR since the upgrading the master
	you could get this.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org