Slow IXFR...

Robert Messinger lists at mail.tiggee.com
Wed Jul 3 18:25:35 UTC 2002

Ahhhh... Now you have me thinking.  And now I think I'm close.

What does the nameserver use to resolve it's queries internally?
Does it resolve the NS record itself (by leaving the network) or does
it get the same result as if I did a dig?

Here is my scenario.

Domain (test.com)
test.com.       NS      ns1.test.com
test.com.       NS      ns2.test.com

Using views for test.com (which has it's DNS on a seperate machine) I have
differnent IPs for the A records ns1 and ns2 depending if it's internal
or external.

(internal network)
ns1.test.com.   A       10800   192.168.1.5
ns2.test.com.   A       10800   192.168.1.6

(external network)
ns1.test.com.   A       10800   12.12.12.12
ns2.test.com.   A       10800   12.12.12.13

Now when I do a dig on my nameserver it returns the correct result since it
is on the internal network - 192.168.1.6

But when it tries to do a IXFR will it send it to 12.12.12.13 or 192.168.1.6?

If it queries the external network then I would have to change the master IP for
the external network, now it is set to the internal network.

Thanks for all help!