Windows dhcp and unix bind 9.1.0

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 16 21:09:07 UTC 2002

berberic at forwiss.uni-passau.de wrote:

> Hello,
>
> this probably has been discussed some times, but I couldn't find an
> answer on google (probably wrong keywords :( )
>
> We have bind 9.1.0 running on Solaris as nameserver. There are some
> PCs using dhcp and the dhcp-server is running on a Windows 2000
> server. Now we want to have either the named delegate DNS-query for
> the dynamic IP-range to the Windows-server or have the Windows systems
> update the nameserver-entries.

If the dynamic range is a /24 or some multiple of /24's, then you could delegate
the relevant reverse zones to the Win2K server if you wanted. However, if it is
less than a /24, you'd have to allow the Win2K server to update the reverse zone
via Dynamic Update, using only source-IP as the authentication method (since the
flavors of TSIG spoken by BIND and MS are incompatible). Note that once you enable
Dynamic Update for a DNS zone (forward or reverse), then the only reasonable way
of updating that zone at all is through Dynamic Update; this probably means you'll
have to re-work your current maintenance processes.

It is tempting to think that you could use RFC 2317 techniques for this, but last
time I checked, the MS code is not smart enough to chase aliases, so that approach
would not work.