BIND 9.2.1 MINTTL Problem (and Solution)

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Jul 3 19:47:54 UTC 2002

Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com> replied to my posting about $TTL:

>This error message is explained in the migration notes. Did you read
>them? They're in doc/misc/migration. You might find these notes
>helpful for the other problems you've found.

I had not read the migration notes, but I knew about the $TTL directive,
which I have in all of my master zones.  I read the migration notes, and
these notes would not have helped me with this problem.

1) The zones had a serial number from 1999.
2) I had added $TTL statements in 2000 or 2001, but I had not changed
   the serial numbers.
3) The zones loaded fine on BIND 8.2.5 and 9.2.1 on the master without
   any error, as each zone had a $TTL.
4) The zones on the slave were dated 1999, and had no TTL in each entry.
5) The serial number on the slave was the same as on the master, so
   the slave did not have to re-transfer the zone.
6) The slave had zones without a TTL in each record.

As my situation was unique, I am not suggesting that the migration
document be changed to include my scenario.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov