IP addresses in NS records seem to be breaking hostname resolution

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Thu Jul 18 02:44:39 UTC 2002

"Chris Davis" <chris.davis at computerjobs.com> wrote in message
news:ah55cg$2kkt$1 at isrv4.isc.org...

> I'm afraid we have lost focus of the discussion.  The discussion regards
> zones with NS records that incorrectly have RDATA using IP addresses
rather
> than hostnames.  We are not addressing NS RDATA hostnames that do not seem
> to resolve to an IP address.
>
> The config that started our discussion was:
>
> @ IN NS 209.44.8.1
> @ IN NS 209.44.8.6
> @ IN NS 216.90.116.7

You seem to have missed the point that the above are *legal* hostnames.  As
a human, it is obvious to you that they were intended as IP addresses.
Computers are not so good at those kinds of judgement calls.  BIND has no
way to know that they are not supposed to be 209.44.8.1.pacetech-inc.com,
etc.

[snip restatement of the original request and description of the resolution
process]