views and recursion problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 19 23:15:42 UTC 2002

Eric Wood wrote:

> [...]

No, because the other views may contain versions of the zone that are totally
inappropriate for the client in question. Some people use views in very
creative ways, not just in the simple "internal versus external" configuration.
Conceivably, you could have different views for different organizations within
your company, or different business units. You could define a separate view for
people you don't like (redirecting their favorite website name to
dial-a-prayer.com, or whatever, but of course I'd never do such a thing :-)

By default, each view is isolated from every other view. You can optimize by
defining the same zone, pointing at the same zonefile, in multiple views, as
I suggested. But that shouldn't be the default behavior, because some people
won't want that.