Everybody Resolves this Domain but Us.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Sat Jul 20 11:06:51 UTC 2002

	We get one of these problems maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

	Our master and slave dns may receive up to 100,000 plus
hits per hour and most of those are uneventful.  A few days ago,
we got a complaint I dread the most.  You can almost write the
form for a script.

	Customer says, "We have this domain.  In this case, it is
accxx123.com.  If you are off campus, it resolves just fine but
when you are in our network, it doesn't resolve.

	The folks doing the complaining are exactly right.  You
can't resolve this domain at all.

	A whois for accxx123.com shows soham.clikaroo.net and
advaita.clikaroo.net as dns for this domain.  On our master and
slave dns, you can get a dig to work at 216.98.135.124 which is
soham.clikaroo.net, but 216.98.135.125 which is advaita doesn't
even seem to be up.

	A normal host command in bind9.2.1 fails to resolve
either clikaroo.net dns.  To resolve clikaroo.net, you must be
able to see at least one of those same two name servers.

	A dig +trace shows that the root system does return both
dns addresses, but advaita.clikaroo.net fails a lookup.

	I am blue in the face.  What else can I try?

	To make matters even stranger, a third bind9 dns on our
campus seems to have mysteriously figured out how to resolve
accxx123.com, but I think it has cached it.  If you do a dig
+trace on that box, you get all the same output that our other
two dns's produce, but the resolution just pops up at the very
end without any indication of how it got it.

	Here is a dig +trace from our master dns.

dig: Couldn't find server 'ADVAITA.CLIKAROO.NET': No address associated with hostname

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> accxx123.com
;; global options:  printcmd
.			134225	IN	NS	A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

All root servers are listed.

;; Received 292 bytes from 127.0.0.1#53(localhost) in 1 ms

com.			172800	IN	NS	A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET.

Same  routine with all of those servers.

;; Received 462 bytes from 198.41.0.4#53(A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET) in 45 ms

accxx123.com.		172800	IN	NS	ADVAITA.CLIKAROO.NET.
accxx123.com.		172800	IN	NS	SOHAM.CLIKAROO.NET.
;; Received 116 bytes from 192.5.6.30#53(A.GTLD-SERVERS.NET) in 45 ms

	The system that has cached the answer produces it at this
point but our other two dns's just finish here with nothing.

	As is always the case in one of these unusual situations,
I can resolve just about any other remote domain absolutely
normally.