orphan A record removal - glue records

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Jul 22 17:36:38 UTC 2002

Frederic <frederic.lemoine at manpowerinc.com> wrote:

> We have received a mail from our registrar with the following content:

> Purpose of this Action (as explained by VeriSign):
> The current zone generation process publishes A (address) records (also
> called "glue" records) regardless of whether or not the name server is
> referenced by any NS (name server) records. In other words, an A record
> is published even if no zone delegations reference it. These A records
> are called orphans, and their presence in the COM/NET/ORG zones is
> undesirable for a number of reasons, both administrative and technical.

> Could someone explain me what this means.

That they (verisign) want owners of obsolete glue-records to remove them.

Somehow i doubt that they will catch all this way. The only way would be
to validate them after generation, which is a time consuming process
due to the volumes.

They probably should try to reach the admins, but this time with the
names & addresses of the glues in case.

Some of the admins are no longer with us, those will have to be scrapped
without confirmation.

--
Peter Håkanson