Help with MX records and CNAME records

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Mon Jul 22 22:32:40 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:27:50PM -0400, AJ wrote:
> what if I have the Load balancer resolve the domain and enable it to forward
> unresolved queries to another server. I am not sure if the forwarding works
> for domain or it can work for single entry like just MX.
>
> Any insights

Servers are either authoritative or not authoritative. You can't have a
server return both authoritative responses and referals for the same
zone. The only way to do what you want is to declare each fqdn that you
want the load balancer to serve as a child zone delegated to the load
balancer, and leave the parent zone on a server that actually works. But
again, if you have a load balancer that claims to do DNS but cannot deal
with an MX record, you have a severly broken load balancer. If that's any
indication of the quality of the code that went into this machine, give serious
consideration to repurposing it into a non-critical role. Trolling  anchor
for your bass boat comes to mind.

-Pete