forwarders-weirdness

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jul 23 00:28:40 UTC 2002

> Hi there
> (If this should be a FAQ, please excuse me and tell me. I didn't find
> anything)
>
> Following scenario:
> <named.conf>
> recursion no;
> forward first;
> forwarders { www.xxx.yy.zz; }
> </named.conf>
>
> I did the following changes in the zonefile:
> <makaranta.de.hosts old>
>            NS  old.nameserver.de.
> www     CNAME  makaranta.de.
> makaranta.de    A   some.ip.
> </makaranta.de.hosts old>
> top
> <makaranta.de.hosts new>
>         NS   old.nameserver.de.
> www     NS   new.nameserver.de.
> </makaranta.de.hosts new>
>
> that is, I delegate the subzone www.makaranta.de to another nameserver (for
> loadbalancing purposes)
> The Problem is, if I query the original nameserver, who is still Authority
> for makaranta.de, it doesn't return the NS-record as it ios supposed de,
> but instead delivers the old CNAME-entry, which it gets from its forwarders
> (who haven't yet uupdated their database, but that is another problem).

	Make a non-recursive query.

> But in my opinion this is wrong, because the old nameserver is still
> Authority for makaranta.de and shouldn't ask his forwarders!!! It has that
> record?
>
> Why's that??
> If you need any mor infromation, please say so.

	Also lp1.ccmconsult.de is not answering queries for types other
	than A.  This is *bad*.  A large percentage of the world already
	queries for AAAA records.  Not answering just means that everyone
	looking up www.makaranta.de has to wait for the AAAA query to time
	out.  This kind of defeats the purpose of using a load balancer if
	it takes longer to lookup the address than it takes to serve the
	web pages.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org