small question re caching only name server syntax

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 23 18:39:21 UTC 2002

Don Low <mt at open2web.com> wrote:
> In article <ahic2l$9i98$1 at isrv4.isc.org>, Kevin Darcy wrote:
>>
>> Don Low wrote:
>>
>>> I've been modifying /etc/named.conf to function as a caching only name
>>> server for BIND 9.2.1.  One thing I'm mixed up about is why you should
>>> include zone info as in:
>>>
>>> zone "." IN {
>>>   type hint;
>>>   file "root.cache
>>>
>>> Why would you include reference to a local root.cache when anything not
>>> cached locally causes the name server to query the ISP name servers.
>>
>> Why do you assume the nameserver is going to query the ISP nameservers? Do
>> you have forwarding enabled? If that's the case, then you are correct: you
>> don't need a hints zone definition.

> Since I wrote, I've come across the following in O'Reilly's DNS and BIND
> book: "As with primary master and slavename servers, a caching-only name
> server needs a root hints file and a db.127.0.0 file" If this is the case,
> then a forward query to a remote name server would be iterative. Not sure
> why they call it a forward *only* name server then.

A forward-only needs no hintfile ( supplying one wont hurt ) But even
a forward-only has at least one local zone : 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa

As forwarding server it does ask recursive queries, the meaning with
that is to concentrate the cache at the forward-server. And if
forwarding is unconditional ( forward-only) it cannot make use if
iterative queries since a refferal cannot be used directly, it have to
ask the forwarder. Thus a forwarding server asks recusivly.

> One other thing, where are the dns records cached -- in what file.

No file, only core. That's why nameservers accumulate a lot of memory.

--
Peter Håkanson