TXT Record

Nitin Khurana nkhurana at novell.com
Wed Jul 24 10:08:53 UTC 2002

Subject : Is there a way to internationalize the data in the TXT
records.

By default whenever we send some data to any DNS server for the TXT
record it interprets that data as ASCII, i.e. even if I send a stream of
bytes in the data section of a TXT update packet that would be
interpreted as ascii and each byte will be converted into its ascii
equivalent and that is what will be returned to me (as an ascii string)
whenever I query the record. But if I want to put data in the form of
utf-8, is that possible? My ultimate aim is to support utf-8, is there a
way I can do this? So that whenever I put data it is put in utf-8 format
and whenever I query it is converted back into appropriate characters??

Thanks in advance,
Nitin Khurana.