update cache

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jul 27 01:53:51 UTC 2002

chpshi at eol.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a bind 9.1 running on my home Linux RH 7.1. I found
> that my ISP's name servers always update more frequently
> than my one. How can I keep my one more closed to the world?
> Where can I change expiration period? Or how can I force
> named to flush/update it's cache? Thanks in advance for
> all answers!

The cache persistence or TTL (= Time to Live) of DNS records is
established by the maintainer of the data. You can _artificially_ speed
up cache expiration for *all* records in your nameserver by setting a
relatively low max-cache-ttl, but this may hurt your performance
(because it forces the nameserver to query the names more often),
frustrates the intentions of the zone owner, and is generally an
anti-social thing to do (because it makes everyone else's nameservers
work harder than they should, answering queries from yours). Don't do it
unless you have a very good, specific reason for doing os.