dns question

Frimpong, Jacob JFrimpong at naacpnet.org
Mon Jul 29 14:54:24 UTC 2002

I set up a RedHat 7.2 dns server for our LAN. I am able to get to internal
servers on the LAN. However, when I go to an Internet page like
"www.yahoo.com" from the DNS machine, I get "host is unreacheable message",
although I am able to get to the page when I use the IP address of yahoo
(http://64.58.76.179).

My configuration file looks like below:

----------------------------------
options {
        auth-nxdomain yes;
        directory "/var/named";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        query-source address * port 53;
        allow-query { 192.168.0.0/24; 127.0.0.1; };
        listen-on { 192.168.0.11; 127.0.0.1; };
        forwarders { Here I put the IP Address of my ISP;};
};
zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "mydomain.com" IN {
        type master;
        file "forward";
        allow-query { any; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        allow-query { any; };
        file "named.local";
};

zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        allow-query { any; };
        file "rev-192.168.0";
};

My idea is to forward all unresolved named queries to our ISP. Any help
would be greatly appreciated.

Jacob A. Frimpong

This message is for use of the intended recipient only. It may contain
information that is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, future distribution, or use of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please advise us by return email, or if you have received this
communication by fax, advise us by telephone and delete/destroy the document