Sendmail interaction with DNS

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Wed Jul 31 22:33:18 UTC 2002

"Rob Boler" <rob.boler at milton-keynes.gov.uk> wrote in message
news:ai8aib$46ms$1 at isrv4.isc.org...

> Could someone help please?

This group/list is for questions about the BIND DNS server.  Your question
was about the interaction of sendmail with MS DNS server for NT.

I can't answer the question, but I can share that I had a similar problem
with MS Exchange server and MS DNS for NT.  In my case, whenever I was
trying to send mail to a subdomain that did not have an MX record - but
there did exist an MX record at the zone apex, Exchange would hold the mail
in its outbound queue.  If I manually looked up the A record, Exchange would
send it.

In my case the solution was to use a Unix/BIND DNS resolver.   MS Exchange
could then look up the records itself.

[rest of question snipped]