message invalid RR type 'NS' in additional section after upgrade

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Fri Jul 5 10:04:19 UTC 2002

David JULIEN equipe MINDS/SSIM <julien at des.elibel.tm.fr> wrote:
> Hello,

> I would like to know if multiple cnames is still implemented (and
> accepted) in bind 8.3.3.

Multiple cnames are wrong, breaking standards, and worse, breaking
the design of dns. Do yourself a favor and remove them.

> Il have just upgraded from bind 8.2.3 for security reasons, and I have
> this message permanently in my logs

> invalid RR type 'NS' in additional section

Someone sends a NS record in the additional section of an answer.
It's not supposed to happen, but the problems lies in
another namserver ( the one who sent this answer). Bind just
warns you about a problem.

> I have multiple cnames set. Could this probleme come from that ?
Unlikley, but you should remove them anyway.

--
Peter Håkanson