What could have caused the following error?

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jun 5 23:26:24 UTC 2002

	After upgrading to bind9.2.1, things were going perfectly
until one of our name servers put the following messages in to
the log:

Jun 05 15:56:07.315 listening on IPv4 interface fxp0, 139.78.x.x#53
Jun 05 15:56:07.315 could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Jun 05 15:56:07.315 creating IPv4 interface fxp0 failed; interface ignored
Jun 05 16:56:07.329 listening on IPv4 interface fxp0, 139.78.x.x#53
Jun 05 16:56:07.329 could not listen on UDP socket: permission denied
Jun 05 16:56:07.329 creating IPv4 interface fxp0 failed; interface ignored

	That's pretty much how the cat died so to speak.

	When I got the phone call that the system was not
answering queries, I found named to still be running but
comatose.  I killed it and restarted it and it appeared to run
like it had never had trouble.

	I have never seen this behavior before at all.
BIND 9.2.1rc2 is running on a FreeBSD Netfinity server with 1 gig
of RAM and FreeBSD Version 4.5.  The FreeBSD OS was upgraded to
Version 4.5 on Saturday and ran bind9.0 until today when we
upgraded as a result of the CERT warning.  Ironically, the
warning is about a denial of service exploit. HMM.

	The only unusual thing that happened today was a loss of
access to all root name servers about 4 hours earlier, but things
were okay after that.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group