Eliminating Authoritative Resource Records and Aditional Resource Records in DNS Responses

Andris Kalnozols andris at hpl.hp.com
Wed Jun 12 15:56:09 UTC 2002

> miguel.paramio at bt.es (Miguel Paramio) wrote:
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> Some days ago I posted a message about "truncated dns packets" and the
> way Novell Clients understands these kind of messages.
>
> The problem comes from the Authoritative Resource Records and the
> Aditional Resource Records, this information about the authorized DNS
> servers make the DNS packet too large.
>
> If the DNS packet exceeds 512 Bytes, then the TC (Truncated) Bit is
> marked, and the client retry in TCP Mode and the server send the
> message in a set of truncated packets.
>

> The problem will be close if we eliminate the Authoritative Resource
> Records and Aditional Resource Records.
>
> Is there any way to eliminate this type of records in DNS responses ??
>

> We are using Bind 9.1.2 and Bind 9.2.1
>
> Thanks in advance

Use the `minimal-responses yes;' option.

The BIND 9 ARM:

  minimal-responses

    If yes, then when generating responses the server will only add
    records to the authority and additional data sections when they
    are required (e.g. delegations, negative responses). This may
    improve the performance of the server. The default is no.

Andris