RoundRobin DNS?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Jun 12 22:21:31 UTC 2002

Big deal. You could have a cron job do "health checks" and change the A
record via Dynamic Update.

The real issue here is that short TTLs are anti-social. That's why
responsible architects/admins don't implement such scripts. Unfortunately,
this reticence has opened up the door to a bunch of hucksters overcharging
for their "WSD" devices (or GSLB, or whatever the nom-de-jour happens to
be). I was hoping the dot-bomb phenomenon would have wiped out all of those
hucksters, but apparently even the big networking companies have jumped on
this bandwagon, so it's unlikely to die anytime soon. Sigh...

- Kevin