Bstat

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Wed Jun 12 23:14:28 UTC 2002

> anyone had problems with getting bstat to run ?

Yes, at various times.

> I have found two versions
>
> one with
>
>        -n don't look up names for IP addresses
> #       -t only report counts above <threshold>
> #       -u report which machines use this name server
> #       -z report who requested a zone transfer
>
> use Socket;
>
> And one with
>
> #       -z report who requested a zone transfer
>
> require 'sys/socket.ph';
>
> This last one fails.

And the first one works?  Seems like a good reason to use the first one!

> When can I get the definitive version of bstat for Bind 8 stats from ????

ftp.oreilly.com/published/oreilly/nutshell/dnsbind/dns.4ed.tar.Z

Remember that on later versions of BIND 8, you'll need to turn on
host-statistics with

options {
    host-statistics yes;
};

to get the detailed stats you need in the stats file.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/DNS-training/
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes