probe_ipv6 problems w/ build of bind 8.2.2p5

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Mon Jun 17 13:46:14 UTC 2002

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 04:19:13PM +0300, Srikanth Muthyala wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am attempting to build bind 8.2.2p5 from ISC's original source on a
> FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE system on Solaris 8.  The build,however, dies before

First, 8.2.2p5 is ancient and full of bugs that have been fixed. I can
only assume that you're trying to save either the cost or the time of
downloading the source from the ISC, but this is a false economy.

Second, it looks like what you're using is the source that's distributed
in /usr/src/contrib (or whatever it was in 2.2.2; that's so old even I
can't remember it...). This is *not* "ISC's original source", it's the
FreeBSD project's customized version. In particular, you'll note that
the port/ subdirectory only contains the directories necessary to build
bind on a FreeBSD system. You're trying to build on a Solaris system,
which is not possible given the hobbled source you're using.

> it has barely gotten underway, exiting with a reference to "probe_ipv6":
> When i run make  install
>
>       [/usr/local/src/bind-new/src]# make
>       Using .systype
>       Using .settings
>       /usr/local/src/bind-new/src/include
>       /usr/local/src/bind-new/src/include/arpa
>       /usr/local/src/bind-new/src/include/isc
>       /usr/local/src/bind-new/src/port
>       /usr/local/src/bind-new/src/port/freebsd
>       /usr/local/src/bind-new/src/port/freebsd/include
>       /usr/local/src/bind-new/src/port/freebsd/include/sys
>       probe_ipv6
>       probe_ipv6: not found
>

> Can any one help me to solve this problem.

Yes. Obtain a complete source distribution, and compile that instead of
what you're using.

-Pete