option forward first: sysquery: no addrs found for root

Tue Jun 25 11:10:33 UTC 2002

Hello out there,

I know, there have been a lot of mails about this topic
already, but I could not get rid of it so I decided to
post my problem here:

Our nameserver (bind 8.3.1 on a linux box) forwards
dns-queries which are outside our zone to our ISPs
nameservers. In case they are not available I want my DNS to
query the root-nameservers to continue operation. For that
reason I used "forward first" and not "forward only" in the
options settings of named.conf.

After starting named I get permanently the warning
sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)
for every root-dns in the root.hints file.

According to the list-archive this is caused by the "forward
first" option and I found a suggestion to leave away the
root.hints file.
Doing so, the warning mentioned above is gone indeed - but
instead there is another one:
info: sysquery: nlookup error on ?

I tried if the warnings are caused by the firewall, but
behaviour is the same with the firewall all open...

Has someone an idea how I have to configure my DNS so that it
is really correct (means: no warnings in the log:-)

Here comes part of our named.conf:
options {
   directory "/var/named";
   forward first;