How to handle rfc 1918 addresses locally

Karyn Williams karyn at calarts.edu
Fri Mar 1 23:23:09 UTC 2002

We use a mix of public and private addresses on our lan. There is no DMZ or
firewall, just NAT. Even though I think NAT should happen between our
vlans, it does not always do so. Three times recently we have seen a major
slowdown on one of our servers. Solaris 8. It does pop, ssh, http. What is
happening as far as I can tell is that it is sporadically timing out doing
reverse lookups on our private addresses. I STFW and read DNS and Bind V4,
but have not found much on this subject. It does seem as though we should
have reverse zone files for the private addresses we use. I tried setting
this up today, but it seems to not help.

So, the first question is, is this the correct solution ?

Next, anything special I should know WRT setting up reverse files for
private addresses ?

ANY help would be appreciated.

--

Karyn Williams